[idvusers] Simple polylines in NetCDF files

Greetings:

I have a 2D gridded data set that I am storing in a NetCDF file and
which I have successfully rendered in IDV. Associated with this data
set are several polylines which must be rendered in the view as well.
So far, I have managed to do this by writing them to writing them to
shapefiles which can be read into IDV. It would be less cumbersome if
I could write the polyline data into the same NetCDF file that
contains the gridded data but I have not yet stumbled upon a
convention that will coerce IDV to recognize the data.

I tried this (and failed):

dimensions:
        tdim = 361 ;
        ... others ...
variables:
        double tlat(tdim) ;
                tlat:long_name = "latitude" ;
                tlat:units = "degrees_north" ;
                tlat:axis = "Y" ;
                tlat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
        double tlon(tdim) ;
                tlon:long_name = "longitude" ;
                tlon:units = "degrees_east" ;
                tlon:axis = "X" ;
                tlon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
        double term(tdim) ;
                term:long_name = "Terminator" ;
                term:units = "km" ;
                term:coordinates = "tlon tlat" ;
        ... others ...

(term is just a dummy array containing zeroes)

So, is there a convention for storing simple polylines in NetCDF
files?

Thanks,
-- Mark