[idvusers] IDV and GrADS

Hi all-

The latest IDV nightly build available at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/nightly/index.jsp

supports direct reading and display of GrADS binary grid files. I added a new IOSP to the netCDF-Java layer to support this. If you use GrADS files, I would appreciate more testing of this feature. To read in a GrADS binary dataset, you would select the CTL (Data Descriptor File) in the file chooser.

A few caveats:

- this only supports the raw binary format (no DTYPE). All other formats are supported natively already.
- it does not support:
- ensembles with varying time dimensions since I didn't have any examples. If you have examples of these (actual files, not just a ctl), please let me know.
   - projected data (ctl files with PDEF)
   - 365 day calendars (since netCDF-Java doesn't support this).

If you find any problems or have any comments on this, please let me know.

Don
--
Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CIRES