[idvusers] Wind Barb Size

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to IDV, so please bear with me if this is an overly-basic question.

When loading up a gridded dataset (in this case NARR data in grib format), and plotting "truewindvectors" with wind barbs, the barbs are overly-large...even when setting them to the smallest size (1).

What appears to be happening is the barb size is determined based on being fully "zoomed out" on a particular projection. In this case, I had chosen "North America" ... then zoomed in on the Southwestern CONUS and Northwest Mexico.

When zooming in, rather than the wind barb plots growing denser and maintaining their size... the barbs simply become larger on the display, and cannot be made any smaller.

Is this the intended behavior in IDV? If so, it would be nice to have the option of making barbs smaller.

I realize I can get smaller barbs if I choose a different projection -- such as "Southwest US" --- but then I get the outline of the 3D box cutting up the middle of New Mexico.

Thanks for any guidance,
-Mike Hardiman