Re: [idvusers] API for vertical section plots

Jon-

This is probably a discussion better for idvdevelopers so as not to scare off the non-programmer IDV users ;-) , but....

The IDV uses the VisAD Data model not the netCDF CDM as the basis for the data it slices and dices. VisAD allows arbitrary samplings into a grid not limited to rows/columns like netCDF. However, there are IDV classes that take CDM GeoGrid objects and make the requisite VisAD Fields.

So, another lightweight approach might be to use the ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter to create a VisAD FieldImpl from a GeoGrid and then use ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridUtil.sliceAlongLatLonLine() to get the slice as a FieldImpl. Basically, that will be a 2D array that you could then export to whatever graphics you want. It would require some understanding of the VisAD data model. It might also need some adjustments to the GeoGridAdapter methods to use outside the context of the IDV. But, as Jeff said, we'd trade that knowledge for help implementing ncWMS in RAMADDA. ;-)

Don