Re: [idvusers] how to display text

HI Tatiana-

Welcome to the IDV community.

On 1/12/11 1:13 PM, Tatiana.Gonzalez wrote:
I'm new using IDV and would like to know if there is a way to display
characters with a specific color on a map (e.g. "c" red, "w" blue)
I have this CSV file (see attachment) and have been trying to display it
to a map but the only thing I get is a map with crosses.

The default depiction for point data is a cross at the point location. What you need to do is create a new Layout Model to use with your data.

From the Tools menu, select the Layout Model Editor.

From the Layout Model Editor, select the File->New menu. Give your Layout Model a name in the dialog that pops up and click OK. That will create a blank layout model canvas.

Click on the Text button on the right side, then click on the canvas to create a new Text glyph. A dialog will pop up to let you edit the properties.

In the Parameter box, click on the down arrow to the right of it to get a list of the parameters you can use. You should see "Current Fields" and if you select that menu, you'll see your file listed. Select that option and then the "Temperature -- T" field. Make sure that the IDN field that was there gets cleared out, so all you have for the Parameter it T. (alternatively, just replace IDN with T for this example).

Click on the Color By tab and select the Color From Parameter Tab on that panel. Type T in the "Get Color From:" box. In the Parameter Value boxes, type the values one per box and set the color for each value. If you need more than 2 values, just hit Apply to add more boxes.

Click OK. If you right click on the glyph in the canvas, you can center the glyph on the point from the pop-up menu. Then use the File->Save menu to save the new Layout Model.

Then, from the Field Selector, Select the Point Data Field, the Point Data Plot, and under the Layout Model tab in the lower right corner, select your new Layout Model and you should get the plot you want.

Don
--
Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CIRES