[idvusers] Unable to create working 3D netcdf field

When I attempt to create a 3D isosurface, I get the following error:

Couldn't get data
SampledSet.init_samples: sample#2 length 1620000 doesn't match expected
length 1624500

The netcdf file is a lat/lon grid (-179.5-179.5 W/E, -89.5-89.5 S/N   1x1
deg) with 25 vertical sigma levels.  The 3D fields I'm interested in are
pressure and extinction (sigma x lat x lon).  The file opens fine in
NCVIEW, NCL, and IDL, so this may be a CF standards issue.

IDV 2.8u1 on RH Linux.

Here is the ncdump header information for the file, if this helps:

netcdf farop {
dimensions:
        lon = 360 ;
        lat = 180 ;
        sigma = 25 ;
variables:
        float longitude(lon) ;
                longitude:long_name = "longitude" ;
                longitude:standard_name = "longitude" ;
                longitude:units = "degrees_east" ;
        float latitude(lat) ;
                latitude:long_name = "latitude" ;
                latitude:standard_name = "latitude" ;
                latitude:units = "degrees_north" ;
        float pressure(sigma, lat, lon) ;
                pressure:long_name = "pressure" ;
                pressure:units = "hPa" ;
                pressure:positive = "down" ;
                pressure:standard_name = "air_pressure" ;
        float surface_pressure(lat, lon) ;
                surface_pressure:long_name = "surface pressure" ;
                surface_pressure:units = "hPa" ;
                surface_pressure:coordinates = "longitude latitude" ;
        float aerosol_extinction(sigma, lat, lon) ;
                aerosol_extinction:long_name = "aerosol extinction" ;
                aerosol_extinction:units = "1/m" ;
                aerosol_extinction:coordinates = "pressure longitude
latitude" ;
        float ptop ;
                ptop:long_name = "pressure at top of model" ;
                ptop:units = "hPa" ;
        float sigma(sigma) ;
                sigma:long_name = "sigma at layer midpoints" ;
                sigma:standard_name = "atmosphere_sigma_coordinate" ;
                sigma:formula_terms = "sigma: sigma ps: surface_pressure
ptop: ptop" ;

// global attributes:
                :Conventions = "CF-1.0" ;
}