[idvusers] 20091222: IDV 2.8 beta 2 available for download

Hi All-

Another beta release of IDV 2.8 (2.8b2) is available for download at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv

New features include:

   IDV 2.8b1 requires Java 6 (aka 1.6)
   Use of netCDF-Java 4.1 library
   Data caching
   Radar cross section display
   Lightning data from native and GEMPAK files
   Ship/Buoy data
   New default background image layers
   Globe display improvements

As well as fixes for some bugs found in the beta 1 release. Also, the latest versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) are included with the appropriate installers.

For further information, see the release notes at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/test/docs/userguide/ReleaseNotes.html

The documentation has not caught up with new features yet, but please provide any feedback on errors and ommissions in this version.

We would appreciate feedback on this beta release as we prepare for a stable release after the new year. There have been significant changes made to address performance issues and memory leaks. Please report any problems to support-idv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Happy Holidays!

The IDV Development Team (Jeff, Yuan and Don)