[idvusers] Creating ISL script / xidv bundle -- "OFF_SCREEN_BUFFER_ERROR: Renderer: Error creating Canvas3D off-screen"

The reply below from Evan Lowery indicates his solution to a similar problem which I have on running the IDV with an isl file on a headless Solaris ix6 system.

He says the solution was "specifying Java3D 1.3 (compatibility mode) during install
instead of the default Java3D 1.5."

How to do this is not given (installing what - IDV?).

Please tell me how to "specify Java3D 1.3 (compatibility mode) during install
instead of the default Java3D 1.5."

my error message is:

runIDV -Dj3d.usePbuffer=false working_plan_view.isl
Fri Dec 04 08:46:30 PST 2009: Loading bundle:
./idv_config_files/working_plan_view.xidv
Java 3D WARNING : reported GLX version = 1.2
    GLX version 1.3 or higher is required
    The reported version number may be incorrect.  There is a known
    ATI driver bug in glXQueryVersion that incorrectly reports the GLX
    version as 1.2 when it really is 1.3, so Java 3D will attempt to
    run anyway.

Java 3D ERROR : FBConfig doesn't support pbuffer or pixmap returns None
DefaultRenderingErrorListener.errorOccurred:
OFF_SCREEN_BUFFER_ERROR: Renderer: Error creating Canvas3D off-screen buffer
graphicsDevice = X11GraphicsDevice[screen=0]
canvas = visad.java3d.VisADCanvasJ3D[canvas0,0,0,1473x970,invalid]
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1;
fixing.

I have Xvfb running on my system, a matching $DISPLAY is set, and the error for
no vfb does not appear.

Stuart Wier

    * From: "Evan Lowery" <elowery@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    * Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 07:41:52 -0400

All,

Thanks for your help with this issue.  I was finally able to get IDV 2.7b2
running on a 32 bit CentOS server by specifying Java3D 1.3 (compatibility
mode) during install instead of the default Java3D 1.5, and using Xvfb when
running ISL scripts.  The error below no longer occurs and all ISL scripts
run as they should.

Regards,

Evan

ATTEMPT1: Installed nightly IDV build with OpenGL 1.5, the following
error
message came up when trying to run the ISL script

[evan@server1 idv]$ /usr/local/bin/IDV_2.7b2/runIDV
SUPER_NATIONAL_8km_VIS.isl
Call the bundle and set the display width and height
Wed Jun 03 08:51:56 EDT 2009: Loading bundle:
SUPER_NATIONAL_8km_VIS.xidv
Java 3D WARNING : reported GLX version = 1.2
    GLX version 1.3 or higher is required
    The reported version number may be incorrect.  There is a known
    ATI driver bug in glXQueryVersion that incorrectly reports the GLX
    version as 1.2 when it really is 1.3, so Java 3D will attempt to
    run anyway.
JAVA 3D: OpenGL 1.2 detected; will run with reduced functionality
Java 3D ERROR : FBConfig doesn't support pbuffer or pixmap returns None

DefaultRenderingErrorListener.errorOccurred:
OFF_SCREEN_BUFFER_ERROR: Renderer: Error creating Canvas3D off-screen
buffer
graphicsDevice = X11GraphicsDevice[screen=0]
canvas = visad.java3d.VisADCanvasJ3D[canvas0,0,0,960x720,invalid]