Re: [idvusers] Soundings from global grib file

Hi Kevin --

Just to clarify, you picked a global GRIB model run (?) in the
chooser, and then in the Field Selector, you selected a "3D grid ->
Derived -> Sounding Data (with true winds)" .. and then clicked
"Display"?  If so, then I can say this:  the IDV does not "make" a
sounding at every grid point; rather, it reads the 3D grids
(temperature, dewpoint or RH, and u- and v-components, if you chose
wind as well) for all times, into memory -- depending on the number of
grid points and levels, this can consume lots of memory.  When you
move the probe to a point, you get the sounding diagram filled in with
the grid point data.

If your grids are large, or you have a large number of levels and/or
time steps, you might consider a regional subsect _before_ you
"Display" the data to limit the data in memory.....just look in the
tabbed panel in the lower-right of the Dashboard when you pick the
"field".

I cannot answer the question of how to specify the pointer location,
in the interactive mode -- other than dragging it to a point.   You
might look at displaying the special "Location" marker and sharing
it's location with the sounding probe......or something along those
lines.  Hopefully someone else has the answer...

tom