Re: [idvusers] Using idv for LES visualization

Hi Phil-

Phil Austin wrote:
I'd like to move from VIS5d to IDV for small domain les simulations
(6km x 6km x 4km at 25m^3 resolution).  Vis5d defines
(projection 0 = linear, rectangular, generic units)
which avoids the cost of converting/distortion in going from
native x,y to a particular map projection.  Is it possible
to do something similar in IDV?  Are there any examples
of, say, cf-netcdf metadata that would be best-suited for
high spatial resolution/small domain fields?

The IDV should read the Vis5D output files directly. The only projection we don't support is the mercator. For the projection 0, we place it over 0,0 as the center. If you turn off the map, you'd never know it wasn't geo-navigated. ;-) Someone was using this to visualize brain volumes in the IDV at one time.

If that's not working, send a note to support-idv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and upload a sample file to:

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm