[idvusers] About georeferencing geostationary images (and satellite images in general)

Dear IDV Users,

I am able to find some geostationary satellite images that I would like to view in IDV and compare to model output. I am aware that there is a georeferencing function in IDV ("Geolocate an image"). I dabbled with it but so far with not much success... Has someone done anything like this or is there a tutorial somewhere that I could follow?

It would seem that simulating the geostationary projection is not straightforward...

I am also interested in knowing of other specific examples (e.g. viewing hdf files from MODIS in IDV in a georeferenced framework, if at all possible...) !

Thanks a lot for any help possible,

Remi