[idvusers] Change to location of resource files/upcoming features

Hi All-

In the latest IDV nightly build (2.6a3 - 10-08-2008), we have
changed the default location of the local resource files
from .metapps to .unidata/idv under your home directory.
When you start this (or later) versions of the IDV, it will
move the existing directory to the new location.  If there is
a problem with the move, you will be notified with a popup
message and asked to move the directory manually.

If you are using a non-default location to store your local
resources (formulas, color tables, etc), this change should
have no effect.

So far, the only negative effect that we have seen is that
Favorite Bundles listed in the History menu will not work.
However, since they are your favorite bundles, you will still
be able to access them through the normal menus/dialogs.

We have made every effort to test this, but if you
find problems with this change, please let us know by sending
a message to support-idv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

We are aiming for a November/December release of IDV 2.6
sometime after the training workshops in November.  Some
new features are:

- Barnes objective analysis of point data
- access to weather text products
- PDF/PS output of displays
- remote access to Level III data through the TDS
- tropical cyclone track and forecast plotting/analysis functions
using ATCF data.

These are all in the latest nightly build and feedback on
any of these features is appreciated.

Don Murray
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm