Windows 2.2 installer

Hi All-

One of our users found a problem with the initial Windows
installer for IDV 2.2.  In version 2.2., we updated the
installer to use Java 3D 1.4 instead of 1.3.2.  This requires
that your video card support a later version of OpenGL and GLX
than 1.3.2.  The error that the user got when trying to run
IDV 2.2 was:

C:\Program Files\IDV_2.2>jre\bin\java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar
Java 3D ERROR : wglGetExtensionsStringARB not support !
- The specified procedure could not be found.

Fallback to use standard ChoosePixelFormat.
Java 3D ERROR : wglGetExtensionsStringARB not support !
- The specified procedure could not be found.

Fallback to use standard ChoosePixelFormat.
Java 3D ERROR : OpenGL 1.2 or better is required (GL_VERSION=1.1)
Exception in thread "J3D-Renderer-1" java.lang.IllegalStateException: GL_VERSION

       at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createQueryContext(Native Method)
       at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createQueryContext(Canvas3D.java:3684)
       at javax.media.j3d.Renderer.doWork(Renderer.java:426)
       at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run(J3dThread.java:250)

In some cases, updating to the latest video driver would solve these
problems, but on older machines, that might not be the case.

We've remade the Windows installer and reverted back to Java 3D 1.3.2.
If you already downloaded the IDV and didn't run into the problem above,
keep running what you have.  If you did encounter the error, download
the new installer and run it again to get the older Java 3D version.
You can check to see what version of Java 3D your IDV is using through
the Help->About menu and clicking on the system tab.  The latest
installer will have the following information:

Java
Version: 1.5.0_11
Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Location: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.2\jre
Java 3D Version: 1.3.2 fcs (build12)
Java 3D Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Java 3D Renderer: OpenGL

Sorry for the problems.  This only affects the Windows version
of the IDV installer.

If you have any questions, contact support-idv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Don Murray
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm