Re: ageostrophic component from operational (u,v) fwind ields

Hi HansPeter,

I also wanted to do this, but I'm not sure if it's possible....at least for my grids. I have grids of U, V, and Z on a global lat/lon grid. I was going to compute the ageo wind by differencing the U,V grids with a computed geostrophic wind. To get the geostrophic wind from the height field is a computation with derivatives. But, based on what I found in the IDV help:

"Any derived quantity that involves a derivative...and is produced from a grid with a lat/lon domain will give incorrect results...."

I won't be able to compute the geostrophic wind.. [I'm using version 2.0].

dave

HansPeter Roesli wrote:
Hi all

I would like to draw flow fields of the ageostrophic component of numerical (u,v) wind fields. Anybody out there who has already implemented this in some way. I would be very grateful in receiving some information.

HansPeter Roesli
consultant to EUMETSAT in satellite meteorology