Question on control highlight in side legend

I have code for a control based on RangeAndBearingControl.java.  When I
open an instance of this control, the control's GUI opens, and it
appears in the side and bottom legends of the main IDV window.  However,
the title in the side legend is not highlighted.  If I close my control
GUI I can't get it back without that highlighting.  It's still on the
map, and still in both legends, but I can't really use it anymore.  Can
anyone point me to what code controls the highlighting?  I've tried to
copy 'setAttributeFlags' from the constructor and 'addDisplayable' from
'init', but haven't hit on what turns on that highlighting.  Can anyone
offer any suggestions?  Thanks.

Dick Knowles