Re: [idvdevelopers] HRRR PTYPE Bundle O' Fun

Kevin-

On 3/12/14 3:21 PM, Tyle, Kevin R wrote:
I thought that those of you who might actually be in a place where
springlike weather is actually occurring might enjoy this little bundle
that shows p-type characteristics from the HRRR, centered over Albany
(where we have remained tantalizingly close to the snow line, but
according to the HRRR, still have a few more hours for a changeover).
This should auto-update with each new hour of HRRR output.

Looks like the NE is going to have some fun for the next day.

This is made with 5.0.  It is also served on our RAMADDA server
ramadda.atmos.albany.edu:8080/repository under IDV Bundles - - >  HRRR.

Question 1:  how might I easily be able to replace
“Precipitation_TypeN”, where N=1 to 4, with Snow, IP, FZRA, RA in the
legends?

There is no way to do this and in this case, since they are 4 separate fields, there's no way to have one colorbar that covers the 4 of them. In other programs (GEMPAK, NCL), there is a way to draw a color bar separate from the data. The IDV doesn't have such a feature.

Question 2:  Although I selected the data set using the “Latest OPenDAP
Data” in my HRRR catalog, whenever I check out the Data Properties via
the Data menu, it always will show the date/time corresponding to the
time used when I created the bundle … e.g. 1403121800_hrrr_141.grib2.  I
can edit the .xidv file to replace that string with “Latest OpenDAP” or
the like, but it seems that this should happen automatically when the
IDV loads the “Latest” data source from a catalog.  Maybe this is
specific to data housed on a RAMADDA as opposed to THREDDS server … not
sure.

I would guess this is a RAMADDA issue.  I'll look into it.

Don
--
Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CU-CIRES