Re: [idvdevelopers] Improvements in the Area of Publication Quality Graphics

  • To: Tom Whittaker <whittaker@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvdevelopers] Improvements in the Area of Publication Quality Graphics
  • From: Stefan Cecelski <cecelski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 08:08:47 -0400
I second Tom's comment; this is excellent!

This is an interesting thought and one that surprises me. I find that
generating and editing a particular image (to add image labels, ect) can reduce
the quality substantially, especially if the image is a Raster. I've
experienced this with saving IDV PNG's, then adding on the label via gimp. I
think the crux of "publication quality" is the ability to save the IDV whole
image, including fonts, as either a vector graphic or PostScript (SVG, EPS,
PDF). This will allow for some minor editing (without loss) and is the
preferred file format for submission for publication (they convert the document
to LaTeX which likes EPS/PDF).

Attached are two images from GrADs, one saved using the PRINTIM call to save as
a PNG, the other EPS then converted to PDF. The difference, especially with
font, is what makes using PostScript so powerful compared to the Raster image
counter parts. Not to mention you can zoom in and out with barely any quality
loss of the PDF image.

V/R,

Stefan

Stefan Cecelski
Ph.D. Candidate and Graduate Research Assistant
AOSC Department: University of Maryland College Park
2343 Computer and Space Sciences Building(CSS #224)
http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~cecelski/
cecelski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jun 4, 2012, at 9:35 PM, Tom Whittaker wrote