[gembud] dcgrib2 or nagrib2 - eliminating additional description chars appended to non-ensemble grid names

  • To: "gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gembud] dcgrib2 or nagrib2 - eliminating additional description chars appended to non-ensemble grid names
  • From: "Manousos, Peter C" <pmanousos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 16:49:07 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=firstenergycorp.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=firstenergycorp.com; dkim=pass header.d=firstenergycorp.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=giylzNA0viz1Dyx9Od+GmC+t2b4Lc2FdYu889VfHsu8=; b=b2KNzybPx2STjEEpmJRBFD5l6FxlHpdueWJjUJtH1bfb9xOq5+gnWs8BTHE9LXaroGpzSI2F+7ZPgPfaK71nXjmzPfkPZU11ZvxIA0uqqj04LAjSd3AjeUxPYK4NzKEhU0s1pJj0rajDA5jlF99QdW3C2un+9KU5b4ECQ+I7zf5WSeQcYb2vDIahQxrUmaRSGwLJ3RWexPzMrMbxbGayF1eqFtajBEnWyOMh0vz/Y9+fBycjsRhZC16Lm6tG3sImP/bop0tAJseUQ9oHrCDDBnoYbQOvCj1JFBBkF+qaWz55Yj9DihyJQY3yn64veLFmyWCm1kfVRP/Eh4EXFMZuzA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=MVw/h1azU9JxFN0sZ/AWTNEd03xWxLWLdqyf7mT9fo3LBHuzH/uj6SJPNEcCEDWw1ftfO0Wh3VI0lW3qpoc1X+4LLEEvlxPbOvs6aDAOgMOt0W1slPLH6jyvTjEKxO5JIJLWQjE3aYHtXYC3DCBygwPP7pmAmIOonPELCalSPB/oGJUjYiyPOn6l9yBcZR09/3Y5jxWhIaUcIigM3tKM4Fkx/8b1Ggh0Ul8nn0FoIzNk4M0X4DAgf38w3WENSFnyvMhQkIDtru6j48aVhFadZppk646u1EudsHEOTxlDiaccYswLzeYbuoaUqmjCfLntG2dWRRG2fCOhXdrc6lHZTA==
  • Ironport-sdr: /Ohg//oUJ9kqhpZHTz1G4QIuISFvcibOAGNiCvXAULqV41iFv2TrgJGVkB4vdKps2Y46pA3P6Q rFDmcyCJMYag==
Greetings.  When degribbing an NDFD max temp grib2 file whether by nagrib2 or
dcgrib2 we see the grid file written for this field is named TMXKnn (where nn
is a two digit string indicating the time period in hours the max temp is valid
- examples: TMXK07 or TMXK12)

Is there a way to remove the trailing characters so that what is stored in the
grid file is only TMKX using these degribbers?

After looking through the GEMBUD archives and finding nothing related, we have
tried the following without success...

  1.  Dcgrib2: Setting the -e ENSEXT=1 or 0 has no effect
  2.  Nagrib2: Setting PDSEXT=NO also has no effect
  3.  We verified the table providing the name TMXK is
$GEMTBL/grid/g2varswmo1.tbl (by copying it to the local directory, changing the
proper line of TMXK to TEST, pointing nagrib2 or dcgrib2 to it).  However we
now get in the grid file TESTnn (with the same two digit characters).  So this
doesn't seem to control if or not the two chars get appended.
  4.  We also tried to see if we could somehow change the name of the field in
the griB (with a "B") file using the "wgrib2 tips and tricks"
(https://www.ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib2/tricks.wgrib2) but this was
not easily evident on how to do so.
  5.  We did resorting to running gddiag to take the existing TMXKnn and write
it back into the grid file as TMXK (sans two digit characters) but we are
finding time stamp issues with this method (despite explicitly specifying the
time stamp).  So this was not successful either.

Pete

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.