Re: [gembud] Surface & upper air corruption?

  • To: "Boothe, Mark (CIV)" <maboothe@xxxxxxx>, "gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gembud] Surface & upper air corruption?
  • From: "Mullenax, Robert R. (WFF-820.0)[ORBITAL SCIENCES CORPORATION]" <robert.r.mullenax@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 16:52:29 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=nasa.gov; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=nasa.gov; dkim=pass header.d=nasa.gov; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=Lle3yHVReQu3Z2lXbziOwh1UN98nNB/16ALaD7iaLAA=; b=R9tzUAgrRNeKQ+Q/LV3CiOROkRq2LzVJhpbUyEovorPU8Q4o4QGWoeo+EoqGOReDCvqU7beigqIZxX97sPkx/V84sTF0W2g/E0ypa3sQJ3gtX8Tz9/iLyO/f/rtf6BO/SKorVwDipGmFaDs0IzRoGfmS+o2JOBPYS2HnEUTD+OMmZYTv+rd9NgyrL1oEHLtZ5AZJFJWwwszJ4nXdRtzmTKIzvqo4xWQvnwpnq9ox6GLP8s1mEMMSwSq9Iqs2K5vJwEIWppiZjc0EWJ8kIkPVJdwsmoCR8a81sp0LHlaPawUZc4T7jIYOktEsbU4pEuXWdTwSl8YK/qWtZYnJ3HK9Kw==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=J4kkjXYFc59EPZ6YDhLUzk4OXLomLY5nX6nVeA61TdHSn+MgGUp32+dSW/2PATjM11whWhwp5BDQSvf0iL+OYTDJ8zQ3wmzcZrtIZfxsklpdpZwKXN1HW3GKWh/zvdpfgpagGazZYdsLdPFu8lQ+ZRRCL+mShRAd7lKn36A+ii3DtKlgYwjyFioAzMNM92M6UyMi7HkZP1vj+EsauwhCDiSsarckZYKpFfRdOAvD+A0+opoDJEovWoAu/WuEC5r2LywkXQJtkOFKPhAtWF1zM4lxJvFzYBbNXAyQs6h5d+y3ymfl8kwo4b03aMJCDrt7ofJtQ6vuJLXzHvEmhnlkNQ==
Hi Mark,

I have never found a way to fix the file once it becomes corrupted. Unidata has
current data available as a nice backup to replace the corrupted file (usually
up, but of course it isn't considered operational):

https://motherlode.ucar.edu/decoded/gempak/surface/
https://motherlode.ucar.edu/decoded/gempak/upperair/

Also, have you tried opening surface/upper air in NMAP2 instead of GARP?  One
reason Unidata stopped support of GARP was instability. In my experience,
especially GARP built on Linux. It could be GARP is the problem.

Best regards,
Robert Mullenax