Re: [gembud] G-16 & GEMPAK

Thanks Michael!

On Mar 3, 2018, at 6:57 PM, "mjames@xxxxxxxx<mailto:mjames@xxxxxxxx>"
<mjames@xxxxxxxx<mailto:mjames@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Oh yeah fellas, we're already working on this. Fixed grid projection has been
added to GEMPAK for the next release though we are still determining the best
way to create AREA files for GOES 16 and 17.

On Mar 2, 2018, at 08:32, Market, Patrick S.
<MarketP@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:MarketP@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hello.

When all of the plusses and minuses are considered regarding NMAP, IDV,
AWIPS-II, etc, we still use NMAP.  On good days.

Pat
=====================================
Dr. Patrick S. Market
Professor of Meteorology
University of Missouri
302 ABNR, Columbia, MO  65211
Voice:  573-882-1496  /  Fax:  573-884-5070

From: gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[mailto:gembud-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Victor Gensini
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2018 8:46 PM
To: gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gembud] G-16 & GEMPAK

GEMbud & Unidata Community:

I am writing to suggest an action item that Unidata support  G16 (and
eventually G17) imagery for GEMPAK. Ideally, G16 and G17 would take the place
of the CONUS-EAST and CONUS-WEST feeds via NIMAGE. I know the 4 & 8km data are
available, but it's not able to replace the regional views and scripting that
we currently have in place.

This is on my list of things to suggest at the upcoming UserCom meeting, but I
figured it would be a good idea to toss this out to the community now. I
realize there is an effort to sunset GEMPAK (and I agree with this eventual
process), but IMO, Unidata should continue to support these data until a
suitable alternative is capable of doing everything GEMPAK can accomplish.
Maybe it's my soft spot for the software I grew up on 😉

Best,

Dr. Vittorio (Victor) A. Gensini

Assistant Professor

Department of Geographic and Atmospheric Sciences

Northern Illinois University

Davis Hall (DH), Room 118

DeKalb, IL 60115