[gembud] dcgrib2 maxgrids

Hi gembud,

We recently upgraded to GEMPAK7.4.1 on our machine running LDM, mainly to
alleviate the issue where the files being created for the NAM didn’t have a
large enough maximum number of grids to accommodate all of the fields since the
NAM upgrade last spring.  The release notes mention this fix in 7.4.1.
However, I seem to still be encountering the same problem, namely that the file
is only getting created with a maximum # of grids of 31999 regardless of what
number is set in the call to dcgrib2.  Just as an example when running from the
command line…I set ‘-m 100000’ but still end up with a maximum number of grids
in file of 31999.  Is there something else we need to do to allow for the
larger # of grids?

Thanks!
Russ

[rschumac@argun ~]$ dcgrib2 -v 1 -m 100000 -e GEMTBL=$GEMTBL
YYYYMMDDHH_nam212_gem7.gem <
/ldm-data/model_grib/nam/20170925/nam212.2017092512_f84.grb2
 Opening WMO Originating Center Table wmocenter.tbl...
 Opening WMO GRIB2 Parameter Table g2varswmo2.tbl...
 Opening WMO GRIB2 Vertical Coordinate Table g2vcrdwmo2.tbl...
 Opening Local GRIB2 Parameter Table g2varsncep1.tbl...
 Opening Local GRIB2 Vertical Coordinate Table g2vcrdncep1.tbl...
[rschumac@argun ~]$ gdinfo
 GDFILE    Grid file                         2017092512_nam212_gem7.gem
 LSTALL    Full list flag                    YES
 OUTPUT    Output device/filename            T
 GDATTIM   Grid date/time                    LAST
 GLEVEL    Grid level                        500
 GVCORD    Grid vertical coordinate          PRES
 GFUNC     Scalar grid                       TMPC
 Parameters requested: GDFILE,LSTALL,OUTPUT,GDATTIM,GLEVEL,GVCORD,GFUNC.
 GEMPAK-GDINFO>r

 GRID FILE: 2017092512_nam212_gem7.gem

 GRID NAVIGATION:
     PROJECTION:          LCC
     ANGLES:                25.0   -95.0    25.0
     GRID SIZE:              185     129
     LL CORNER:            12.1900 -133.4590
     UR CORNER:            57.2893  -49.3860

 GRID ANALYSIS BLOCK:
      UNKNOWN ANALYSIS TYPE

 Number of grids in file:   658

 Maximum number of grids in file:  31999

 [GDU 2]  Did not find any matching grids.

--
Russ S. Schumacher
Associate Professor