[gembud] Nagrib2 not fully degribbing CFS2 grib2 files

Hi.  We are attempting to use NCEPs CFSV2 (Climate Forecast System Ver 2)
data using NAWIPS 6.2.0 and have come to a hurdle that has not been
specifically documented in the GEMBUD archives -- nagrib2 at best only
partially degribs the CFS2 grib2 files.  We are trying to degrib these
files into a gempak grid in order to use gdpoint to extract values from
the grid at sites of interest.

Here are some details of the data and the issues noted:

CFS2 files in grib2 format are found at
http://cfs.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/raid0/cfsv2/verification/monthly/
Depending the grib2 file pulled from this site, nagrib2 either does not
degrib the file or only partially degribs the file into a gempak grid
wgrib2 -v <filename> does show the file contains data

A contact within NCEP duplicated the results we are seeing but is also not
certain of the cause.  We loosely suspect a combination of the CFSV2 files
being on a gaussian grid (although if that were the case, then we shouldnt
be getting any grid file at all -- and we are) and/or a need to create a
local grid table for nagrib2 to reference since these may be specialized
fields not contained in $GEMTBL/grid.  We also are not certain the goofy
"missing=0" portions of the grib message is leading to a nagrib "failure".

Any one know the cause of this, and more importantly a possible work
around?  If you need more details, see below.

1. Pulled
http://cfs.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/raid0/cfsv2/verification/monthly/flxl06/flxl06.gdas.200912.grb2

and then ran it through nagrib2 as follows:

GBFILE=flxl06.gdas.200912.grb2
GDOUTF=t.grd
PROJ=
GRDAREA=
KXKY=
MAXGRD=
CPYFIL=GDS
GAREA=
OUTPUT=T
G2TBLS=
G2DIAG=
OVERWR=no
PDSEXT=no

2. After running and gpending we do NOT get the grid file "t.grd". Instead
we get a message
"1 GRIB messages were read or scanned from the GRIB file:
flxl06.gdas.200912.grb" and
"0 grid were written to the GEMPAK file: t2.grd".

3. "wrgrib2 -v flxl06.gdas.200912.grb" contains 104 grib messages (and a
line count of 106 using | wc -l of 106).. but each line or message has
curious listings.  Here is just one of the lines resulting from this
wgrib2 listing
37:2922365:d=2009120100:TMP Temperature [K]:2 m above ground:124 hour
???@6 hour(6-6 hour ??? fcst),missing 0:

4. cat $GEMTBL/grid/*grib2* | grep TMP | grep TMPK | sort | uniq   yields
011 Temperature K TMPK 0 -9999.00 0 0
025 Temperature anomaly K TMPKA 0 -9999.00 0 0
080 Water Temperature K WTMPK 0 -9999.00 0 0

5. Similarly
http://cfs.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/raid0/cfsv2/verification/monthly/pgbanl/pgbanl.gdas.200404.grb2

run through nagrib2 only partially degribs the file and creates a "t.grd"
grid file -- but of the 522 messages in the grib file only 52 were written
to t.grd (example -- none of the hght fields were written to the grid file
t.grd).

6. "wrgrib2 -v pgbanl.gas.200404.grb2 | grep HGT" does list a number of
height fields available.. but they all have some similar curious listings.
 Here is just one of the lines resulting from this wgrib2 listing..
186:11109623:d=2004040100:HGT Geopotential Height [gpm]:500 mb:21@6 hour
???(0-6 hour ave fcst),missing=0:

7. cat $GEMTTBL/grid/* | grep HGT | grep -v "CLD TOP" | grep -v "CIG HGT"
| grep -v "ANTENNA" | grep -v "LOOP CORRECTION" reveals nothing.

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.