Re: [gembud] Hardware Suggestions for Gempak/LDM box.

Phil,

Given that you plan to upgrade your system for GEMPAK and LDM, it would be a good time to also consider hardware specifications for the upcoming migration to AWIPS-II. The minimum specifications are detailed in the NAWIPS/GEMPAK-to-AWIPS II migration FAQ:

* The AWIPS II installation procedure has been tested on 32 bit Red Hat 4.6, Red Hat 5.0 and CentOS 4.7 Linux systems. At this time it has not been tested on x86_64 bit Linux or Solaris platforms. Since AWIPS II is currently under development, the recommended system specifications below (as given by NCEP) will likely change as testing continues.
* System: 32 bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
* RAM: 4 GB
* Video: 256 MB video memory, OpenGL 2.x support (CAVE appears to run best with Nvidia)
* Disk: 10-20 GB; disk space depends on the amount of data stored.
* Network: An active network connection outside of AWIPS II is required.

The tricky bit right now is the uncertainty about AWIPS-II support in 64-bit environments. Last month Unidata received an update on possible 64-bit support from Raytheon's Omaha development team. In it, concerns were raised about performance issues, development time invested for testing, and the uncertain amount of time necessary for a full upgrade to 64-bit support, though it was mentioned that these issues “/can be overcome, and upgrading to 64 bit should remain a goal for the AWIPS team. The critical questions are how much time will the upgrade take, and do the benefits outweigh the risks? Due to the impending May deadline to begin fielding and the likelihood of increased DR counts … Raytheon Omaha recommends that we do not move CAVE to 64 bit at this time/”

There was an interim solution proposed, which was “/to upgrade the operating systems of the workstations to 64 bit but leave CAVE with 32 bit libraries. This prepares the operating systems for a forthcoming 64 bit CAVE upgrade while removing most of the risks/.” Furthermore, the Raytheon Omaha Special Projects team successfully upgraded to 64 bit servers which “/provides good evidence of a 32 bit CAVE working in a 64 bit OS/”.

So it seems that if you were to purchase a new system intended for both GEMPAK/LDM now and AWIPS-II in the near-future, a 32-bit system architecture would be ideal, but compatibility with 64-bit systems appears likely.

It's a difficult position for Unidata to be in right now - I'd really like to be able to tell you that 64-bit is recommended and that you'll be 100% supported down the road, but we're still somewhat unsure of how AWIPS-II will behave on such a system. It's encouraging to hear that Raytheon is directing attention to 64-bit support (perhaps "64-bit compatibility" is a better term), but at this time evaluation and testing in a 64-bit environment hasn't really taken place.

I apologize for the lengthy and slightly off-topic response, but hope it helps clarify the near-future plans for both NAWIPS/GEMPAK and AWIPS-II.

GEMBUD readers please feel free to chime in if you have any related questions or concerns.

Best,

Michael James
Unidata