Re: [gembud] GEMPAK going away in 3-5 years?

Interesting: I'd not heard AWIPS2 would be non-proprietary! I'll have to learn more.

gerry

Mark.Keehn@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I would wait and see what happens before making your final decision.  If
national support for GEMPAK does go away, it would only be after it's
capabilities have been integrated in to AWIPS2.  My understanding is
that AWIPS2 will be non-proprietary so that the private and academic
sectors will be able to use the software and contribute to the knowledge
base.  If the National Centers are being brought on board, hopefully
AWIPS2 will be better for viewing weather data on a global scale.
Mark Keehn
NWS Houston, TX