RE: computer freezes

Stephen,
Thanks for the interesting tips, I did not know that. I'm copying the user-lists because these may be of general interest to the community.

-Mike

At 10:48 AM 4/25/2005, Stephen Sinnis wrote:
I may be out of sync with what is going on, but I had a similar problem due
to a system limit being reached.

The default number of simultaneous ipcs queues allowed for any user is set
to only 8 in RedHat.

You may want to increase the value to 32.

Check this by running sysctl as root:

sysctl kernel.msgmni

You can set this value in the /etc/sysctl.conf file, so that it is the
system default after a reboot.

He are some details from my development machine:

[root@gempak3 root]# cat /etc/sysctl.conf
# Disables packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
# Enables source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
# Disables the magic-sysrq key
kernel.sysrq = 0
kernel.shmall =4294967295
kernel.shmmax =4294967295
kernel.msgmni = 64

[root@gempak3 root]# sysctl -h
usage:  sysctl [-n] [-e] variable ...
        sysctl [-n] [-e] -w variable=value ...
        sysctl [-n] [-e] -a
        sysctl [-n] [-e] -p <file>   (default /etc/sysctl.conf)
        sysctl [-n] [-e] -A

[root@gempak3 root]# sysctl kernel.msgmni
kernel.msgmni = 64

Regards,