Re: supported OS's for Gempak

  • To: Robert Mullenax
  • Subject: Re: supported OS's for Gempak
  • From: Robert Mullenax <rmullenax@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:42:44 -0600
No, I would never recommend Fedora over Solaris.  We recently finshed moving
from Linux to Solaris 9/10 x86 after we could finally could install Solaris on
our Dell Precision 450's.  Best thing we ever did.  Fixed all those annoying
crashes GARP has under Linux (try plotting model data over satellite and then
hitting Clear under Linux).  Plus from a compute standpoint, Solaris 9 x86 with
Sun compilers is about 20-50% faster than Linux gcc/g77.

However, it's pointless to try to convince a Linux person to switch to Solaris.
 In that regard, best to stick with Fedora since that is what the Unidata folks
all use, if they use Linux.  I know FreeBSD and Solaris x86 are also used
around there.