Composite Study

Hey Gembuds,

I'm working on an interesting little project here that will involve creating composite (upper air) maps of various severe weather cases. I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this task. It would seem that Gempak is limited in this respect, as I may be compositing data from dozens of case dates.

For the very basics, let's say I wanted to create a composite (average) 500mb Height map using gridded data from 25 case dates. Would this be beyond Gempak's capabilities? Would I be better off using Reanalysis data and some other tools (eg, NCO utils) to first create the averaged gridded data, then import that into gempak after the number crunching has been completed?

Any help would be most appreciated!

-Mike