[galeon] CF Conventions extension to netCDF core adopted by OGC

Hi all,

While many of us were busy at the AGU Fall meeting last week, the 60-day
voting period closed for the OGC technical committee on the proposed CF
Conventions extension to the core netCDF standard.  With 30 votes required
to meet the quorum, the totals are:

40 Yes
  0 No
  1 Abstain

There were no substantive comments on the proposed specification although
some edits may be needed on the document before the formal press release
goes out.

The OGC has now adopted the classic and enhanced netCDF along with the CF
conventions.

The focus of the efforts will change toward a joint initiative with the OGC
Web Coverage Service (WCS) Standards Working Group to adopt CF-netCDF as an
encoding format for WCS 2.0.  It's interesting that this is essentially
where we started our OGC efforts.

As noted at the outset, there are many possible extensions to the
established CF-netCDF specification.  Two that have come up recently are:

   - XML-based encoding, in particular ncML and ncML-GML
   - Uncertainty conventions for which an OGC discussion paper has been
   submitted

Beyond that, it is important that we carefully coordinate our work with
that of the OPeNDAP and HDF organizations that have become members of the
OGC Technical Committee since we started our CF-netCDF standardization in
the OGC.