[galeon] [CF-NetCDF-1.0.swg] netCDF Uncertainty conventions(netCDF-U) motion

Dear Ben and colleagues in the netCDF Working Group,

since the group is scheduled to convene at the next TC Meeting in Austin, we
would like to take the opportunity and substantiate our discussion on the
Uncertainty Conventions for netCDF (netCDF-U), as anticipated.

As you may recall, netCDF-U is partly developed in the framework of the FP7
UncertWeb project and addresses quite abstract, high-level description of
uncertainty, mainly to support semi-automatic composition of models and
services.
It is designed to be convention-neutral, in particular complementary to
netCDF-CF and its more fine-grained mechanisms.
It is based on a standard, generic mechanism for annotating netCDF variables
according to the UncertML conceptual model.

For your convenience, I attach the latest document draft, as posted before the
Bruxelles TC Meeting and slightly edited for improved clarity, incorporating
some comments received.

In the past months, we have been assessing the conventions, that seemed
expressive enough for the requirements of UncertWeb, as well as for other
applications. We would like to investigate their suitability to other contexts,
also involving the CF community. We welcome contributions and co-editing, to
reach a shared consensus of how semantic annotations, in particular about
uncertainty, may be accommodated in netCDF datasets.

On a practical basis, according to the OGC procedures, we hence propose the
following:
        Motion: The CF-netCDF SWG approves release of 11-163 “NetCDF
Uncertainty Conventions (NetCDF-U) 1.0” as an OGC Discussion Paper.

Unfortunately, neither my colleague Stefano Nativi nor I will be able to attend
the TC Meeting in Austin. However, we are available to participate via telecon.
We hope you will agree that the topic is of interest and, in fact, worth
discussing.

Best regards, till next time in person,
  Lorenzo Bigagli

[see attached file: 11-163_NetCDF Uncertainty Conventions (netCDF-U) Discussion
Paper.pdf]

---
Dott. Lorenzo Bigagli
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
Istituto di Metodologie per l'Analisi Ambientale (CNR-IMAA)

i: Area della Ricerca di Potenza, Contrada Santa Loja
   Zona Industriale, 85050 Tito Scalo (PZ), Italia
t: +39 0971 427221
f: +39 0971 427222
m: lorenzo.bigagli@xxxxxx