[galeon] Seeking support for proposal to create WMS profile for met-ocean data

Dear GALEON participants,

Apologies if you've already seen this request through other channels.

I am putting together a proposal to the UK Natural Environment Research
Council <http://www.nerc.ac.uk> for a Knowledge
Exchange <http://www.nerc.ac.uk/using/schemes/kecall.asp> project that
aims to harmonize the use of the Web Map Service within the
met-ocean community.  The need for this was identified at a recent workshop
at ECMWF
<http://www.ecmwf.int/newsevents/meetings/workshops/2008/OGC_workshop/index.html>
 at
which it became apparent that many of the world's major met-ocean
forecasting centres are adopting WMS for sharing imagery of their data, but
each provider is adopting a different set of home-grown conventions.  The
project will bring together a group of experts to develop a set of
conventions (perhaps as an official OGC profile) and implement a test-bed,
roughly speaking *doing for WMS what GALEON did for WCS*.

More details about the proposal can be found here:
http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/~jdb/MetMap_project_summary.pdf

In order for the project to be funded and to succeed, we will need support
from the community.  Therefore *I am writing to see if anyone is willing to
provide a letter of support* saying: (1) you think this is a good idea; and
(2) you would be willing to join the expert group and give us the benefit of
your knowledge and experience (at your own expense, unfortunately).  If you
are only able/willing to say (1) that is still very helpful, but the
proposal will really be strengthened by the commitment of experts to the
cause.  I would really like to make sure that the lessons of GALEON feed
into this process.

If you are able to support this proposal in any way, please reply to me
off-list *as soon as possible, on or before Thursday 19th February*.  This
represents a relatively rare opportunity to gain funds to pursue this kind
of activity as part of the day job instead of in spare time!  I hope you
will consider this to be a valuable effort.

With best wishes,
Jon Blower

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre