Re: [galeon] need free data sets

Hi Peter,

One place you might look for a set of the most recent Global Forecast Model
runs from the US National Centers for Environmental Prediction on our Undata
server at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg/files/catalog.html

These are the runs of the 0.5 degree resolution forecasts.  Each file is
"only" about 3 GB, but you can combine a set of them to get to the size you
are looking for.  If you need larger collections, I know that we have about
20GB of ensemble forecast runs coming into UCAR/NCAR, but I don't know if
they are being made available publicly yet.  Others on the list may know.

In terms of interesting characteristics, you can drill down and look at
what's available in each forecast, e.g.,
http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/ncss/grid/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg/files/GFS_Global_0p5deg_20071218_0000.grib2/dataset.html

One thing you'll notice is the variety of vertical coordinates for different
parameters.  In particular,  the "geopotential height" is, in effect, a
dependent variable with the pressure level as the independent coordinate
variable.  That's the sort of unusual characteristic where a transformation
might benefit some user communities that are not used to working in pressure
coordinates.

Hope this is enough to get you started.

-- Ben

On Dec 17, 2007 1:22 PM, Peter Baumann <p.baumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>