Re: OGC Ottawa TC meeting highlights

Ron - Actually I don't "see it the other way around" - please take a
look at my slides and you will see that I show examples of WFS fronting
SOS, and of SOS fronting WFS, and also various interactions with
Registers and WCS. It all depends which viewpoint you need. They all
have their time and place. And many configurations are possible in a SOA
- that is kinda the point. I like George's recent architecture diagrams
where he has dispensed with arrows between components altogether, in
favour of a background that contains pervasive arrows!

John - yes, you caught me - in this thread I slid back to the
"traditional geospatial feature" usage of the term "feature". In other
contexts I have been one of the first to emphasize that "feature" is not
restricted to this. My current formulation is "identifiable thing whose
type is defined in some community or domain of discourse". Yes, that
certainly includes all the concepts that you mentioned (licenses,
schemas, etc).

Nevertheless, the notion of "traditional geospatial feature" (lets call
it TGF) (I won't even attempt to define it here) appears to have some
utility, and least as a viewpoint, which resonates with a lot of folks.
Maybe we need another word for it. In the slides, in the slides attached
to the mail I sent yesterday, the "WFS" components refer to a
TGF-service.

I fully agree that a true "Feature-service" would be the parent of all
more specialized services, including coverage services, TGF-services,
etc, which could be understood as profiles that provide access to some
viewpoint related to convenience packaging. Like the simplified
packaging-oriented info models, the service profiles are still useful -
different communities with different focusses understandably find one
more convenient than another, at least at different stages in their
workflow. So it is probably useful to give these services different
names.
Simon