RE: OGC Ottawa TC meeting highlights

Hi Stefan:

One obvious case of service chaining that makes semantic sense to me at least
is that of an FPS (Feature Portrayal Service), a WFS (as currently understood)
and a WRS.  The interaction is something as follows:

1.  The client goes to the WRS and discovers a number of WFS as data sources.

2.    The client also discovers an FPS.  Note that an FPS exposes a WMS
interface.

3.    The client gets the schemas of the relevent WFS (the ones he/she wants)
from the WFS or the WRS.

4.    The client constructs an SLD and sends a request to the FPS (this is a
WMS request).  The SLD is =93filed=94 with the WRS.

5.    The FPS uses the request to generate requests to each of the WFS
referenced in the SLD.

6.    The GML data returned to the FPS by the various WFS is styled to some
presentation format (e.g. KML, SVG, JPEG) which is returned to the client to be
rendered.

The semantic distinctions are clear here. The FPS/WMS generates and provides
presentations. The WFS participating provide data that is styled for
presentaton by the FPS/WMS. The WRS supports the discovery of all of these
services.

Cheers

Ron