From: owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-galeon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ron Lake
Sent: 08 May 2007 16:59
To: Roy Mendelssohn; Ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Unidata GALEON
Subject: RE: OGC Ottawa TC meeting highlights

Hi Roy:

I think the idea of a feature "varying over one of its coordinate axes" is at best vague - since a feature in almost all cases does not have a distinguished frame of reference (for the coordinate axes). If you wish to think in this fashion, I think it would be better to think in terms of a feature which has a property (or properties) whose value is a
distributed over the extent of the feature.   Consider for example a
road and its surface type. One might have a single property of the road - surface that takes the values (paved, gravel, dirt) - and there is only one such property for the entire road. At the other end of the spectrum one might have a surface property whose value is a function giving the distribution of the surface type as a function of distance along the road. This distribution is a coverage and the value (in this
case) of the surface property.

Cheers

Ron