Re: CUAHSI Observations Data Model

Hi Ben, David, All,

Thank you for bringing the hydrology data modeling effort to our attention.

I can offer a few thoughts on this data model hamonization issue.

- In dealing with air quality point monitoring data, both practice and
theory has shown that the relational data model proposed by CUAHSI is a
robust way of encoding monitoring data. In fact virtually all AQ monintoring
data are being managed through Relational DMS, in SQL servers. A typical
(actual) AQ data schema is in slide
2<http://capita.wustl.edu/capita/capitareports/070103OGC_WCS_SQL/AQ_Pt_OGC.ppt>.

- The relational model is suitable to encode and to respond to typical
OGC queries for data (WCS), station description (WFS), sensor description
(SOS) etc. Some ideas on this are noted in slide
3<http://capita.wustl.edu/capita/capitareports/070103OGC_WCS_SQL/AQ_Pt_OGC.ppt>
.

- For web service-based data access, it should not matter how the data are
encoded and managed, as long as they repond to the servvice query.

- In this view, the key in harmonizing between the two (two or five) data
models is in the service return payload format. netCDF?, XLS, CSV, whatever
is appropriate for the particualar client (community).

-  So, connecting the pipes is a matter of using different data format
adopters. For the GALEON experiments, for example, we have formatted the
monitoring data as a 1 dim netCDF-CF data structure.

We are very much looking forward comparing notes on this topic and also
experimenting with implementation in GALEON 2.

-Rudy