Re: DIFAX Alternatives

NOTE: The difax mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Jeff, et al,

My one cent. (All I have...)

Some facts:

        o  have been numerous problems with the fax feed.

        o  is older technology

        o  data standards are not very high resolution

        o  data formats are very standard and well known.

        o  Cornell, the FAXs are received by computer, manipulated through a
FAX->PS filter, and, printed on a laser printer.

        o  data on the maps/tables appears to be gleaned from a common data
source.

        o  data can be sent directly to a FAX machine.

For thought:

        o  data is just one more format to handle individually by the computer
people, 'cuz, it probably comes in on a computer, not a stand-alone fax machine.

        o  data is a well-known data format, but designed for analog
(telephone) transmission at 9600 baud.

        o  distributed data delivery network with multiple potential data
delivery points (ex. IDD) is probably more reliable than a single data
location. (Assuming data is being generated and collected 100% at the source.)

        o  precise graphics (higher     resolutions) can be handled by other
types of data formats (ex. PostScript, .gif)

        o  on computerized data is nearly universal.  A separate Fax feed
usually does NOT help during a data outage, 'cuz, the data is received by
computer, anyhow.

        o  from common data sets, the fax data is only a representation of
data, probably already on your computer.  (ex. data from a MOS model run)

        o  data reception is flex able enough to post-process a
PostScript-ready map file from data received and send it to printer, AND,
produce fax data format and deliver it via modem to your local FAXs, AND,
more...  Most of us, have computers capable of handling this.

As I said, one cents worth.  I'm not sure how the commercial world  will handle
the data.  (If Alden can't hire someone capable of re-programing  the voice
message on the answering machine . . .!)

A couple of rules from data-base normalization (for efficient and  flex able
data storage.)

         "DO NOT store redundant data."
         "DO NOT store calculated data."

On general computer science principles, it appears DIFAX should be replaced.

jdm