Re: DIFAX

NOTE: The difax mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Allen;

    Below is the response to your DIFAX enquiries from the Dept. of Atmos.
Sci., U. of NC at Asheville.

    1. Do you use DIFAX as a primary source of NWS facsimile products? (DIFAX
maps received through a Family of Services Provider may well come from the HRS
circuit and not the DIFAX transmission). If you are a subscriber to the DIFAX
service (through Alden for example), could you switch to an alternate delivery
system with 6 months notice.

DIFAX is our sole source of NWS facsimile products.  Presently we receive these
products from ALDEN through a satellite downlink.  They are printed using a
matrix printer.  We could switch to an alternate source if forced, but it would
take more than six months because of the length of our funding cycle.  We are
very satisfied with the current service.
    2. Can you/Do you use DIFAX maps currently available on the internet
(http://weather.noaa.gov/fax/graph.shtml)?  What are the drawbacks if any?  How
could delivery be improved?
We do not use DIFAX maps currently available on the internet. The drawbacks are the increased number of terminals necessary along with increases internet traffic. Included would be increased maintenance resources which we simply cannot afford.

    3.  If the DIFAX transmission is vital to your operations, please explain
why.

We have found that the display of hard copy is far easier and effective for
operations and education.  Entering freshmen can immediately access the NWS
products, share ideas and not be intimidated by having to immediately learn at
least one of several systems on scarce machines.  For my colleagues and my own
research, the hard copy DIFAX removes much of the hassle of seeing the overall
picture.  Indeed, we have had visitors from FSO's who enviously peruse our
display, voicing their wish to have something they could annotate, easily
discuss with peers and rapidly integrate.  A significant feature is the
reliability of the current DIFAX delivery.  We have been very satisfied with
ALDEN.

    -- James A. Heimbach, Jr.
       Prof. and Chair, Atmospheric Sciences

  • Search the difax archives: