Status of an Old Issue

NOTE: The difax mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hi Joe:

You probably recall that Dave Fulker announced to the community that Unidata
would not be supporting the use of Difax.  We have, however, created a DIFAX
mailing list for community participants to share information.  You can
subscribe through majordomo at:

You can also obtain the most current information by linking to the DIFAX
information from the data page.  This link provides the discussions to date on
printing of DIFAX charts.  It is at:

        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/data.general.html

I also wanted to call your attention to a fairly new service that is being
provided by the NWS.  They have DIFAX charts on the web.  The URL is:

        http://www.nws.noaa.gov/graph.htm

They are in TIFF format due to their size, but if you don't have the
appropriate graphics tools, you can check the list that is provided for a
graphics converter.  I use GraphicConverter for my Mac which allows me to
manipulate the images and print them out using our regular HP laserjet printer.
 If you have comments about these charts, just drop a line to the webmaster
(e-mail provided a the bottom of the DIFAX page).  I've been working with him
on this service, and he is trying to provide a service that is most useful to
the community.

If these images serve your purpose, it would allow you to discontinue the service provided by Alden, thus saving you money for other things.
If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Linda