Re: Converting Group 3 FAX files to Postscript, GIF

NOTE: The difax mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hello All,

I've read all of the email from the start of this list to November 28, then
Dec. 6 through now. If this is repetitive information, I apologize.

I had a little spare time this afternoon to play around with PBMplus and
converted a DiFAX map in group 3 fax format to Postscript and GIF. The
Postscript file was acceptable, but definitely below par of what a laser
printer can do; the GIF file was horrible.

I went to the "weather talk" email list and asked if there were other options
since I'm not well versed on file converters.  I did get some interesting responses:

Meta Sienkiewicz <meta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi:
        You didn't mention what platform (PC, Unix, whatever) you wanted to do
this on.  For Unix X11, another possibility (besides PBM) is the ImageMagick
package available from 'ftp.x.org' as
contrib/applications/ImageMagick/ImageMagick-3.4.tar.gz.  To work with
Postscript this also requires the 'gs' (ghostscript) translator.  I hadn't
tried converting from Group 3 Fax with this but was happy with some other
conversions, display, etc.  YMMV.  My opinions only, etc.

Meta Sienkiewicz

Well, I hope this helps. Don't have much more time to fool with this, but I
gave it somewhat of a shot. I'll keep trying...

Gilbert

  • Search the difax archives: