CRD/SIO and Difax/Unisys, An Update

NOTE: The difax mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Well, I heard from Yale.  They do not have a system up and running, despite
what Unisys thinks.  Oh well.

We are working hard here a Arizona on a script that goes out and gets files
about once an hour.  It is going to be a week or so to get it working.

They SHOULD be GIF instead of PCX.  I experimented with some of Unisys' images
and determined that the average image is less than half the size of the PCX
file after I convert it to GIF.  Considering that bandwidth is one of the major
bottlenecks in the Unisys operation, they could effectively DOUBLE their
bandwidth just by changing to GIF images.

Another alternative is to use 'compress' on the images.  PCX images compress
down to less than 1/2 of their original size.  Unisys then doesn't have to
worry about doing a pcx to gif so this may be simpler for them.  Another option
in this regard is to use IDD to distribute the data to Unisys DIFAX
subscribers.  I don't want to think about the bureaucratic mess one would have
to go thru to get this set up.

Mike

  • Search the difax archives: