Re: GRIB to netCDF (fwd)

NOTE: The decoders mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:02:47 -0700
From: Russ Rew <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: John A. Dutton <dutton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: GRIB to netCDF

To: russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John A. Dutton" <dutton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: hauger@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 20030220: GRIB to netCDF

Hi John,

It seems I have a flood of questions after years of silence...

Thanks for your prompt reply on Monday.  I got the SST data I needed
via a direct compile and execution of a little program via gcc, but I
still have not gotten the library to work in Code Warrior.  I sent a
message to Metrowerks...we'll see if I get an answer.

New problem: We are encountering difficulties in trying to convert
ECMWF GRIB files of  ensemble seasonal forecasts to netCDF.   The
issue seems to turn on the fact that the  Unidata gribtocdl utilities
are using the NCEP GRIB
parameter tables and that there are differences with ECMWF.

Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Please REPLY to ALL since Ben Hauger above is actually doing the work.

Could you tell us how to access some of the ECMWF GRIB files of
ensemble seasonal forecasts that the gribtocdl utilities don't handle?
I know that ECMWF has defined some nonstandard GRIB extensions

http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/manuals/libraries/gribex/localGRIBUsage.html

that our tools don't support, so if they are using these, we may be
out of luck.  Otherwise, if we could reproduce the problem here, it
might be possible to fix the problem or recommend a workaround.
Thanks!

--Russ

  • Search the decoders archives: