[conduit] Status of 0.25 degree GFS data on CONDUIT?

All,

Just curious as to the plans for getting the 0.25 GFS data onto the CONDUIT or some other data stream.

I've had a few downstream sites asking me why the 0.25 degree data isn't on the CONDUIT feed yet, and I've been responding that I thought the reason that data isn't available yet was primarily a size issue. Is that accurate?

Tom at Unidata had mentioned in one email to me that their experience so far through some testing is that the 0.25 deg data is about 20 Gb per run (4 runs per day), and he had asked my thoughts on replacing the 0.5 deg data set with the 0.25 data set.

I know there are some people in our department who are using the 0.5 deg data (also others that use the 1 deg) and would probably need to rework some things for their processes to work with the 0.25 deg data instead.

In the same context, Tom also asked whether I thought my relay would be able to handle the additional capacity if the 0.25 data were added, how big my IDD relay queue is, and if it could be increased. My queue is 20 Gb right now, and I'm not sure how much bigger it can go. Memory on my IDD relay is 32 Gb, but I've found that if my ldm queue is much bigger than about half the RAM on the machine, my data throughput can go way down. I don't know if that machine could handle an additional 20 Gb every 6 hours or not.

Those questions lead me to believe that there is concern about the size of adding the 0.25 deg data to CONDUIT, especially for downstream sites that may have lower bandwidth and smaller machines ingesting the data.

Thoughts?

Pete

--
Pete Pokrandt - Systems Programmer
UW-Madison Dept of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

  • Search the conduit archives: