[conduit] 20100709: impending CONDUIT changes

Unidata CONDUIT users:

On Tuesday, July 13 at approximately 12Z, the LDM and the process that
creates CONDUIT datastream products at the WOC will be upgraded to
current versions:

- the LDM will be upgraded to v6.8.1

- 'gribinsert' will be upgraded to v1.4

  'gribinsert' carves up monolithic model output files into individual
  GRIB2 messages, inserts those products into the toplevel LDM queues
  and creates and sends manifests of inserted products.

Please Note:

- the content of the CONDUIT datastream should not change

- users will see a small set of differences in Product IDs after the
  gribinsert upgrade:

  - GEFS model data will now be correctly tagged as being /GEFS/, not
    as /107/

    NB: The process ID in the grib encoding for GEFS was changed from
    80 to 107 back in February.  At this point, Product IDs that had
    a component of /GEFS/ started being reported as /107/.  Since we
    have received no feedback from users, we are assuming that this
    change and the change back to the correct formation of Product IDs
    has no impact on users.

  - the version of gribinsert currently being used is incorrectly
    tagging pressure levels as 'Pa' instead of 'hPa'.  The new version
    of gribinsert correctly tags the product with 'hPa'.

  - the version of gribinsert currently being used is munging a small
    number of Product IDs: control characters are being included in
    Product IDs that should be composed entirely of printable ASCII
    characters.  The new version of gribinsert fixes this problem.

  - the new version of gribinsert runs together 'sigma value' and
    'sigma values' tags resulting in 'sigmavalue' and 'sigmavalues';
    the old version does not.

  We do not believe that any of these changes will have negative impacts
  on CONDUIT users.

Acknowledgement:

- Unidata would like to extend its thanks to the NOAA WOC folks who are
  making improvements to CONDUIT possible:

  Rebecca Cosgrove
  Patrick O'Reilly
  Chi Kang
  NCEP/NCO Dataflow Team

Please let us know if you have concerns about your operations so we can
advise you on changes you might need to make.

Send any/all questions or comments to:

Unidata CONDUIT Support <support-conduit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas
Unidata User Support
--
Unidata User Support                              UCAR Unidata Program <

  • Search the conduit archives: