From: conduit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Steve Chiswell
Sent: Thu 9/13/2007 12:13 PM
To: conduit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: support-conduit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [conduit] 20070913: CONDUIT GRIB1 to GRIB2 transition

CONDUIT data recipients,

Re:  GRIB1 to GRIB2 transition notification which has been provided in
numerous formats, such as:

        All GRIB1 data currently residing on the NCEP & TOC FTP servers
        will be removed on 28 January 2008.  The schedule for the GRIB1
        to GRIB2 conversion for NOAAPORT data has not yet been
        established.  A schedule will be published as soon as it becomes
        available.  It is anticipated that no GRIB1 data will be removed
        from NOAAORT prior to January 2008

We would like to begin a timetable to replace the remaining GRIB1 format
data sets
in the CONDUIT data stream with the GRIB2 versions that are available on
the NCEP ftp servers which are the source of the CONDUIT data stream.

For the past 15 months, RUC data in both GRIB1 and GRIB2 format has been
delived
by CONDUIT. At this time, we would like to know if anyone still needs
the GRIB1 format data. By removing the redundant GRIB1 RUC data, we will
free up some room
to alternately add GRIB2 versions of NAM data sets for a brief period of
overlap (approximately  1 week in duration) and then remove the
redundant GRIB1 versions.
Current NAM data sets being delivered in GRIB1 are "awipak" grid #216,
"awip3d" grid #212, and "grbgrd" grid #104. The 12km NAM data is already
delivered in GRIB2 so will not be affected.

After transitioning the NAM data sets, the GFS 1.0 degree (grid #003)
data set will
be considered. Options for this data set are:
   1) Transition the GRIB1 version to GRIB2
   or
   2) Remove this data set entirely as a lower resolution redundant data
set of the
        0.5  degree GFS data already being delivered in GRIB2 for the
same levels,
       parameters, forecast hours.

Other pending additions to CONDUIT include additional GEFS/TIGGE
ensemble parameter members (approximately 11GB per day).

Your feedback, as always, is welcomed!

--
Steve Chiswell <chiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Unidata User Support