[community] A Proposal for Community Support of GEMPAK

Hello Unidata community,

As you may be aware, the Unidata Program Center has for many years
supported a distribution of the GEMPAK meteorological analysis software
package. For a variety of reasons, the Program Center is no longer able to
provide support for GEMPAK directly. In consultation with our governing
committees and interested members of the broad Unidata community, we have
decided to encourage individuals with the time and expertise to maintain
GEMPAK to form a community-based maintenance team for the package.

Unidata's history with GEMPAK and our rationale for this transition are
described more fully in this post on the News@Unidata blog:
A Proposal for Community Support of GEMPAK
<https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/a-proposal-for-community-support>

The plan for community support of GEMPAK relies on volunteer contributions
of time and expertise by interested individuals. Daryl Herzmann at Iowa
State University has agreed to serve as the initial coordinator of the
community's efforts, with the aim of organizing a self-governing and
self-sustaining effort quickly. Daryl's contact information is in the
posting; please contact him directly if you would like to contribute to
this community effort.

The Unidata Program Center Staff

--
Douglas Dirks (*He/Him/His*)
Unidata Community Services

I acknowledge that the land I live and work on is the Traditional Territory
of the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute. Colorado's Front Range
<https://native-land.ca/> is a contemporary and traditional site of trade
and gathering for many Indigenous people.
  • Search the community archives: