[community] Nominations Sought: Unidata DeSouza Award

Dear Colleague,

Do you know someone in geoscience community who has actively contributed to
more open and data driven science and education? Or perhaps someone who has
been helpful to you and other members of the Unidata community? Such a person
might be someone who tirelessly volunteers to assist others, or a contributor
to a software package widely used in the community, or provides and encourages
open access to data.

I write to you today as chair of the Unidata Users’ Committee as we seek
nominations for the Russell L. DeSouza Award. This award is generally given out
annually to a member of our community "whose energy, expertise, and active
service to the geosciences contribute in a way that is consistent with or
furthers the Unidata Program’s mission." The honorees of this award personify
the Unidata ideal of an inclusive community that promotes the sharing of data,
software and ideas through computing and networking technology. I ask that you
think about individuals within your department or colleagues who fit this
description. I also note that while direct involvement in the Unidata community
is one avenue by which such a contribution may be made, the distinguishing
ethos of awardees is their contribution and dedication to accessible and
reproducible science and education in the geosciences. Additionally, I would
also ask that you please share this announcement with anyone who might know of
a worthy nominee.

A nomination for the Russell L. DeSouza Award for Outstanding Community Service
does not require significant effort, and the award serves to honor those who
often do not receive recognition of their substantive service to the community.
The nomination form will require contact information for the nominator, the
nominee, and a form response to explain why the nominee should be considered
for the award. To nominate someone for the award, please use the nomination
form. Nominations must be received no later than 20 March 2020 to be considered
for this year's honor.

The Unidata Users Committee will review the nominations and select the
recipient, who will be invited to receive the award at the Fall 2020 Users
Committee meeting in Boulder, Colorado. The individual will be asked to give a
presentation focusing on their experience as it relates to service to the
Unidata and geoscience community through the sharing of data, software or ideas.

For additional information about the DeSouza Award and list of previous
recipients, please visit the award website, which can be found at the following
link: DeSouza Award

Regards,
Kevin Goebbert, Valparaiso University
Chair, Unidata Users Committee