Re: [cf-satellite] level 1b solar imagery

Hi Randy...

It is highly desirable to distribute your products in netCDF files
using structures that are already (or soon to be) defined in the CF
Conventions.  If your data will not fit these structures, then it's
time to propose extensions to the conventions (as we are considering
doing with the "band" dimension/coordinate that has been discussed
here).

Conventions for some things (units, scaling, etc) are well defined
already.  Other metadata that is specific to the specific data (for
example, an attribute that specifies a spectral range) are best
represented by something of your choosing, but employing a
"standard_name" where available...or submitting the new one as a
standard_name.  Certainly, the standard_name can and probably should
be one that is already widely accepted in the community.

If you're going to have to give the files to people in the Climate
community who are accustomed to netCDF/CF-compliant files, this will
be important, as they may have processing software that understands
the structure (and perhaps some of the attributes).

Can you give us an example of what you have...and we can see what
might fit already.

tom