Re: [cf-satellite] Ang.: Making a proposal for the addition of the geos projection

Martin:

Discussion with our Image Navigation and Registration lead (Dr. Jim Carr)
reveals that the EUMETSAT GEOS projection is not the same as the GOES-R
projection (i.e. the ABI fixed grid).

The reason has to do with the gimbaling characteristics of the two imagers.
Both of the imagers are dual gimballed.   In the case of the GEOS imager, the
inner gimbal axis is in the N/S axis (i.e. the x-axis) and the outer gimbal
axis is in the E/W axis (i.e. the y-axis).  In the case of the GOES-R imager,
this is reversed.

The implication is that the order of applying the x and y rotation matrices is
reversed when data points are projected, and geodetic lat/lon coordinates
calculated.  As a result, the location of the data points on the Earth are
different between GEOS and GOES-R for specific radian values associated with
the same N/S and E/W scan angles.

As a result, the order in which the rotation matrices are applied must also be
captured.

Feel free to contact me for additional details.

very respectfully,

randy