Re: [cf-satellite] Sharing quality flags among multiple variables

On Oct 31, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Tom Whittaker wrote:

> Hi Randy...
>
> My read on the "Flags" in Section 3.5 of the CF Conventions is that
> the intended use is that a variable contains "flag values" which are
> described by the various "flag_" attributes (flag_values,
> flag_meanings, etc).   While the implication is that the variable
> contains only "flag" values, I'm not certain that is essential.
>
> When you say your variables have "10s of millions of data points where
> each has a distinct quality flag", I am not sure if you are saying the
> variables _contain_ the quality flag value(s) or somehow they are in a
> different variable.  For example,  you might have actual data values
> in the range of 0:100, but if the data value at a point is "101" then
> it has a special meaning.   If that is the case, could you not simply
> use the "flag_values" to indicate "101" is a flag value?   Unless the

I don't want to speak for Randy, but I know it is quite common in Level 2 data
from the Earth Observing System to have quality variables where there is a
one-to-one match at the pixel level between a given quality variable and 1 or
more data variables.  We see this case in AIRS Level 2 as well as MODIS Level 2
atmospheres products.  (It is not the same as simply saying what the
valid_range is, or giving a special value that applies to all pixels in the
data variable.)

I admit I, too, was thinking along the same lines as Randy in terms of an
analogue to the "coordinates" attribute (e.g., var:coordinates = "latitude
longitude" ;)  So we might have:

totH2OStd:quality_flags = "Qual_H2O" ;

Of course, the file is still not completely self describing as the semantics of
the flags like Qual_H2O are critical to interpretation and often unique (we
actually use an ontology to model this in our Data Quality Screening Service),
but it is a step in the right direction.

A further complication is that often the quality variable has one less
dimension than the data variable, so that MLS, for example, has one quality
variable value per vertical profile.  Similarly, AIRS 3-d variables (e.g.,
temperature profiles in X-Y-Z) are described by 2-D quality variables, one
value for each horizontal location (X-Y).