Re: [cf-satellite] Proposal for band dimension and coordinate variable

On 7/25/2011 11:44 AM, Jim Biard wrote:
Given all the various complications described, perhaps it would make sense to make the "band" coordinate variable an array of label strings. The label strings can differentiate the bands without imposing any sequential numeric sequence constraint.

A string-valued coordinate (aka a nominal coordinate) would be ok, but it seems like the common case is that there is a numeric coordinate that could be used, which i think would be preferred. I wouldnt let the unusual cases dominate the convention.

An "auxiliary coordinate variable" doesnt have any numeric constraints.

Other variables would be used to specify wavelength, wavenumber, bandwidth, polarization, etc, and we could define an attribute to attach to the band coordinate variable that would identify the group of variables that are being used to describe the bands. (This would be analogous to the coordinates attribute, but would be applied to the coordinate variable instead of the data variable.)

To use existing CF convention, youd just put them into the coordinate attribute. You could propose a new convention.